Facebook has made strides since its humble beginnings in 2004. What was once a way to connect with friends has become an unstoppable force for social media marketing.
With roughly 2.8 billion active users around the world, the recent acquisition of Instagram and WhatsApp, and several new business integrations, Facebook is asserting itself as the most powerful social media tool for business.
Facebook has introduced a PPC advertising system, similar to that of Google. Millions of organizations are already taking advantage of this lucrative medium of advertisement.
If you’d like to start using Facebook PPC ads for your business, this article is for you. Here we’ll go over the ins and outs of PPC ads on Facebook.
What is a PPC Advertisement?
Pay-Per-Click, or PPC, is a method of web marketing in which the advertiser places their ad in a place of high attention. The advertiser then pays for every engagement, or click, that their ad receives.
This method of advertising is far faster at getting attention than organic SEO techniques. What would take months of time and careful attention to your organic social media or search engine marketing efforts can be done quickly with minimal effort through PPC advertising.
Now let’s go over how you can use this to your advantage.
The truth about PPC advertising is that it can either excel or flop. Before setting up your campaign, you need to be sure that this is the right mode of advertising for your business.
To maximize the effectiveness of your PPC advertising on Facebook, you need to:
- Establish Your Goals: Before you begin any kind of paid advertising, it’s crucial to choose your advertising objective. What do you want to get out of your marketing campaign?
Do you want to build brand awareness? Maybe you want to get more people to download your app or your website’s store. Once you know your objective, build a sales funnel that begins with social media.
- Consider Your ROI: The reality of paid advertising is that sometimes, campaigns are not profitable. This is why it’s important to consider the cost and billing model of your PPC campaign.
- Identify your target audience: The most important step of any marketing campaign is to find out who will respond well to and engage with your advertisement.
The first step is to identify the demographics of your customer base, then target those demographics on social media.
- Find the right platform: Once you have your target audience identified, you are ready to decide on a platform to advertise on. Facebook, as mentioned before, also owns Instagram.
Instagram tends younger, with their largest age portion between the ages of 18 to 28. Facebook, on the other hand, tends older, with 24 to 54 encompassing a vast majority of its users.
- Choose the right ad placement: After deciding on a platform, you also need to consider exactly where on the platform you’ll place your advertisements.
For example, ads can be placed directly into peoples’ feeds as sponsored posts, as sponsored stories, or as panels on Facebook articles.
- Experiment: It’s not possible to get it right on your first try. Implementing a successful PPC ad campaign requires some trial and error. That’s why it’s important to experiment a little bit and see what works best.
Now that you’re familiar with how to start a PPC campaign on Facebook or one of its acquired social media platforms, it’s time to dive into some of the strategies you can use to maximize your success.
Play To The Interests Of Your Audience
To make your PPC ad as visible and as appealing as possible, the ad must be placed and in some way be relevant to what your target audience is interested in.
You want your ad to sit right where your target audience puts the most attention. For example, if you sell fishing gear, you want your ad to appear in feeds that use fishing-related keywords or hashtags or add it as a featured panel on fishing articles.
Set Up Your Facebook Sales Funnel
Every sales funnel needs to start somewhere, and in this case, it’s Facebook. Depending on how well you know your target audience, you can start by advertising in places that attract their attention.
Here are the different stages of the funnel, and how you can implement them into your marketing strategy.
- Create Awareness: The first step is to let people know that you exist. This is what Facebook advertisers call “Attracting Cold Audiences”.
Much like cold calling, this phase of the funnel is like casting a net out. This first phase will tell you how well you’ve targeted your market.
- Spark Interest: After people are aware of your PPC ad and click on it, from here you need to spark interest in your product. A well-designed landing page for the ad is ideal.
- Convert: Once you’ve sparked the interest of your audience, it’s time to turn that interest into a sale.
- Earn Loyalty: Make their customer experience with your business so good that they’d love to do business with you again. By doing so, you open another, completely free, point of advertisement through peer-to-peer promotion.
Social media advertising is only going to increase in effectiveness as these platforms grow and attract more and more human attention. There is no better place to deploy advertisements than social media, and Facebook is the most powerful player in this space.
Take advantage of the highly lucrative ad space that is social media, and follow this guide to maximize the success of your Facebook PPC ads.
Have You Applied?
SkillBank is a 15-week career accelerator for people looking to kick-start their career in marketing.
The next SkillBank cohort starts May 10th, 2021 and we'd love to see you there!